1. the act of inflicting excruciating pain, as punishment or revenge, as a means of getting a confession or information, or for sheer cruelty.
2. a method of inflicting such pain.
3. Often, tortures. the pain or suffering caused or undergone.
4. extreme anguish of body or mind; agony.
5. a cause of severe pain or anguish.
–verb (used with object)
6. to subject to torture.
7. to afflict with severe pain of body or mind: My back is torturing me.
8. to force or extort by torture: We’ll torture the truth from his lips!
9. to twist, force, or bring into some unnatural position or form: trees
tortured by storms.
10. to distort or pervert (language, meaning, etc.).
This gothic photograph by artist Conceptually Black shows torture. This was photographed in Toledo, Ohio, in the basement of the Collingwood Arts Center.